Professor Elizabeth Winstanley's Homepage
|School of Mathematics and Statistics,
|The University of Sheffield,
I am a member of the Astro-Particle
Theory and Cosmology Group in the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University
- 2009-present: Professor of Mathematical Physics (Reader in Mathematical Physics from January 2007, Senior
Lecturer from October 2005, Lecturer September 2000 - October
2005) at the University
- 1996-2000: Fellow in Applied Mathematics at Oriel College,
- July-December 1999: Guest member of staff at the
Department of Physics, University
of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, where I was part of the Mathematical Physics Group.
- 1992-1996: Research student at the University of Oxford,
initially supervised by Dr. A. C.
Ottewill (now of University
College, Dublin), subsequently by Dr.
N. E. Mavromatos (now of King's
- 1989-1992: Undergraduate at St. Hugh's College,
Oxford, obtaining first class honours in Mathematics.
Past Professional Activities
Main Research Interests
My main research interests are:
A list of my publications, and links to download papers, is available
- Hairy black holes
- Classical black hole solutions in various models of gravity
- Classical stability of hairy black holes
- Quantum gravity phenomenology
- Quantum field theory in curved space
- Hawking radiation of brane black holes, as produced at
- Quantum states of rotating black holes
1905 and All That:
An introduction to some of the ideas of special and general relativity,
from a seminar given to the Department of Pure
Mathematics at the University of Sheffield.
To Infinity and Beyond:
Following from ``1905 and All That'', another talk given to the
Department of Pure Mathematics, this time covering global and local
geometry in General Relativity.
A very informal (and hopefully amusing) presentation of ideas about
black holes and my research (for best results, use Microsoft Internet
Explorer, notes pages do not view as well in Netscape).
MAS112 Vectors and Motion
Useful (and not-so-useful) links.
|Wigan Rugby League Football club
| Cricket, especially Lancashire C.C.C
|Playing the piano and guitar (badly)
|Judge John Deed
| Inspector Morse
| Northern Italy
Winstanley, 10th October 2010